Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 Michael L. Printz Award

Two of the most awarded novels of 2010 are China Miéville’s “The City & The City” and Paolo Bacigalupi’s “The Windup Girl”. Each award thrilled me in the case of China Miéville’s “The City & The City”, because this novel is one of my favorites, but I cannot say the same for Paolo Bacigalupi’s “The Windup Girl”. I cannot say the same because, to my shame, although I do have a copy of the novel for some time now I didn’t get near to read it until today. However, Paolo Bacigalupi was rewarded again this year, but this time for his second novel, “Ship Breaker”. Paolo Bacigalupi’s “Ship Breaker” received the 2011 Michael L. Printz Award this week, the award with which the American Library Association recognizes the excellence in the literature for young adults. This news made me think that although I set only a couple of reading goals for 2011 I should add another, to read Paolo Bacigalupi’s works this year. I still have to get a copy of “Ship Breaker”, but I do have his collection of stories, “Pump Six and Other Stories”, and his novel, “The Windup Girl”. I know that Paolo Bacigalupi has a new novella coming up from Subterranean Press, “The Alchemist”, paired with one by Tobias S. Buckell, but those editions are not very friendly when it comes to their prices and therefore I am not that I will include this novella in my resolution too.

3 comments:

Peadar said...

I'm definitely going to get this one too. I loved The Wind-up Girl and Pump Six...

Peadar

Unknown said...

I've got Mieville's Kraken and Embassytown on my wish list, with Perdido Street Station presumably in the mail. I may have to check out City and the City too.

Mihai A. said...

Peadar, I really have to catch up with Paolo Bacigalupi's works :)

Rabid Fox, I absolutely loved "The City & The City" and therefore I highly recommend it :)